Food security: business and science together
On December 2, 2022, the international conference “Food Security and Sustainable Development” was held in Tashkent. The organizer of the conference is International Agriculture University.
The conference was attended by over 100 guests from the following countries: Australia, Germany, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Singapore, Tajikistan, United States of America, Vietnam and others. Representatives of the scientific and business community, employees of the diplomatic corps, and representatives of the media were among the participants. At the event, several speakers made presentations on the topic “Together we create conditions for successful international cooperation.”
Within the framework of this conference, a meeting was held between entrepreneurs of Uzbekistan, engaged in the field of agriculture, with their foreign colleagues to establish business contacts.
● Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Uzbekistan
● FAO – Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
● UNDP – United Nations Development Program
● ASK Facility – European Union Agricultural Support Program
● Melek Best Milk Agro LLC
The International Agriculture University was opened by the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Uzbekistan in cooperation with the Royal Agricultural University of Great Britain on the basis of Presidential Decree No. PD-237 of 07.05.2022.
The main activities of the University are:
● training of highly qualified, professional personnel based on the principle of “science-based,
● cooperation with foreign higher educational institutions and organizations
● implementation of joint educational programs and projects
Presentations of the Conference speakers
Name of the presentations
1) Welcome by Dr. Munira Aminova, Acting Rector, International Agriculture University.
2) Mr. Rudy Fang, Singapore Business Chamber, Food Security Policy in Singapore.
Food security experience from Singapore.
3) Dr. Le Quy Kha, Food Industry expert, Vietnam: “Smart Farming Application in Vietnam since 2016 to date”.
Smart technology application in synchronized mechanization of agricultural production.
4) Ivan Horvat, Lead Technical Advisor, UNDP Uzbekistan: Innovation Groups: “New Concept for development of sustainable agriculture”.
Innovation partnership & innovation groups.
5) Dr. Grzegorz Cieslinski (Poland), “Challenges and opportunities in crop quality improvement in Central Asia”.
Challenges and opportunities in crop quality improvement in Central Asia.
6) Ms. Teresa Saavedra-Bravo, The Wheat Initiative, Germany: “Importance of science and collaboration in addressing food security: The role of the Wheat Initiative”.
Importance of science and collaboration in addressing food security: The role of the Wheat Initiative .
7) Dr. Muhammad Zafar, Associate Professor, Department of Plant Science, Quid-i-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan: “The roles and values of Wild Foods in the Agriculture System and Final Product Processing”.
The roles and values of Wild Foods in the Agriculture System and Final Product Processing.
8) Dr. Aziz A. Karimov, Professor of IAU/Head of the Regional Office for International Center for Biosaline Agriculture IAU: “Agricultural clusters’ contribution to innovations, new technologies, and food security in Uzbekistan”.
Agricultural clusters’ contribution to innovations, new technologies and food security in Uzbekistan.
9) Dr. Aliya Aktymbayeva, Head of the Tourism Department /Dr. Alexander Artemyev, Al-Farabi Kazakh National University “Prospects for the development of agritourism in Kazakhstan”.
Prospects for the development of agritourism in Kazakhstan.
10) Dr Ian Patterson, Australia, Silk Road International University of Tourism: “Agritourism as an emerging niche market for Uzbekistan”.
Agritourism as an emerging niche tourism market in Uzbekistan.